Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Painted Counter Tops

Well, here it is May of 2015 and I am just now...finally...getting this post published!
This is an old DIY project from way back in 2009...or was it 2010?
 Let me check my Facebook page...it was actually 2010...so back in 2010,
I got to where I just couldn't stand these ugly butcher block-ish laminate counter tops.
Not. One. More. Day.


The bathrooms were just as ugly with a boring white laminate.
Here is the main bath in the hallway.


I had heard of products that you could use to paint counter tops but was always skeptical. After checking out our local Lowe's I saw they had a few products but was not impressed...with the price or the sample of the end results they supplied. So I started checking the internet and that's where I found GianiGranite. (And just so you know, I am doing this post totally on my own...Giani did not pay me anything or ask me to advertise for them. They have no idea who Debby Ray is as far as I know!)
 I can't tell you how many testimonials I read on several different websites that were so favorable along with photos of the finished product.  I decided this would be the product for me and I ordered 2 sets...one in Bombay Black and one in Chocolate Brown. If you click on the link to the website, you will see that there is a wide array of colors to choose from.

The price was also right...each kit was $49.95 and I needed two. New counter tops for a hundred bucks? You bet! I will say that due to the popularity of this product, the price has gone up a bit. I just checked on Amazon and the price for a kit is now around $70. I ordered this from the Giani website five years ago, quite possibly when they were first marketing this product. Oh well...it's still a reasonable price to pay for new counter tops!

****************** 
Preparation is key!
I purchased a heavy duty cleaner and scrubbed the heck out of those old ugly counter tops.
Masking everything off is always the most time consuming step, but oh so necessary.
******************
The kits contain elements for 3 basic steps:
1. Roll on the black primer coat with the little roller that is provided. You will need to let this dry several hours, preferably overnight. One coat does the job.


2. Next you decide on the look you want to achieve. Each kit contains 3 colors of mineral paints that you sponge on, sponge included. The three colors included were silver, copper and white. A black piece of poster board is also included in each kit for you to experiment on first! Once you decide on the look you want, let the fun begin. The lighter color is generally sponged on first, then adding the other two to enhance it. You are the artist here. Work on about a 24" area at a time, blending each area as you go so as not to see lines of demarcation anywhere. Most of us have probably done a sponge painting technique on something or other so just have fun with your design.


3. The last step is applying the shiny acrylic finish. This is also applied with the roller that is provided and a smaller brush to get into the corners and detailed areas. It has been so long that I don't remember if it is just one coat or two (very good directions and a DVD are included) but I do know that you do not want to use too much or it will dry with a milky appearance...especially on the very dark colored kits.



I also did the hall bathroom's vanity using the Chocolate Brown kit.
 I was very impressed with these color combinations...
...the three colors of the mineral paints included were gold, copper and dark bown.
 The base of all both of these kits were the flat back, pictured above.


As you can see, it has a brilliant shine! It's probably a good thing that I postponed publishing this to be able to tell you how it has held up. It has now been five years and let me just say, I have been amazed! Now, the kitchen counter gets more wear and tear of course and you will not want to set hot pans or dishes directly on it...nor will you want to leave standing water or moisture it on it for long. It will create a temporary milky spot but nothing more than wiping it dry is needed and it will disappear in a matter of a minute or two.


Here are photos showing more detail of the granite look on both countops.
I do apologize for the qualityof the photo...as you can see, it was dark outside...
...but notice the shine still?
Five years later, it's still there!


Below is the counter top after I gave the back splash a faux "punched tin" makeover,
also an older project from a couple of years ago.
You can read about it here.


I am just so glad to finally get this post published!
 

My next project will be HUGE and I keep putting it off!
Giani now makes a cabinet paint that I have researched and finally purchased.
The kit has been sitting in the closet for a few months now as I work up my nerve.
The paint is a soft white...
...and with the new hard woods floors I will be gettiing soon, it should look really good!
I have a four-day weekend coming soon on Memorial Day weekend.
The hubby will be working the whole time...
...hmmm...
...will I be able to fianlly get my nerve up??
If I do and it turns out good, you'll certainly know about it, won't you?

29 comments:

  1. Wow, I am so impressed you did a wonderful job. Looking forward to seeing the cabinets painted, go on you know you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, you can paint counter tops?! I am so going to have to show my husband this....our counter tops are rather boring too :) I absolutely LOVE the color you chose - it looks very rich and classy, my friend.

    Thanks for joining Roses of Inspiration. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your countertops look great Debby Ray! That definitely is a good deal and good to know that it's a quality product. So exciting you're getting new floors... me too! Week after next. Sounds like we'll both be busy memorial day weekend. Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. now that looks amazing! great job! Im sure you can't wait to get painting!
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have heard of folks painting their countertops....I love seeing your photos. The after photos are so pretty. Amazing, too, how well they hold up. Best wishes with the cabinets. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Considering I am not a crafty woman (at least in the *artsy-crafty* sort of way!), I was most impressed by this. A lot of times, DIY projects end up looking exactly that way - not professional. But, I have to say, those countertops were amazing!! I think it's the combination of a great product, and an even better artistic woman! Debby, it looks just like granite!

    Yes, I will wait with bated breath for the finished cabinet project. Who needs a contractor? We've got Debby-Can-Do-It!!

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've wondered about that product too and would love to try it on our guest room bath counter. Very beautiful in your home and a great review! I think you're doing it right! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Never heard of the product but the results are phenomenal! I bought a marbeling kit that I have yet to use...oh, about 18 years ago! I am interested in seeing your cabinets done! I painted mine and they took 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of paint. I just redid them and it was another coat of each on top of all that. Hopefully your re-do is not as intense!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be looking forward to what you have to say about the cabinet/cupboard paint. You were brave to do the countertops. I would never have dared.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder what it is about the product that would make you choose it for wood cabinets over regular paint. Your countertops look amazing! They look so much like my granite (which my son installed as that's his line of work). Our kitchens' black like yours and our powder room looks just like what you painted. Wonderful! And inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your countertops look gorgeous! I have heard of this product before and thought it was really neat. It's probably a good thing you waited to share so you can give a testimonial of how well they have held up. How exciting to be painting your cabinets too and getting new floors! I cannpt wait for the day we can get actual hardwood floors, but I am happy with my laminates for now. We have too many other things on our to do list...lol! Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look fabulous...I really, really like that kitchen counter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I'll be! Never knew you could end up with such beautiful countertops from painting! Looks like you did a superb job. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your counters look amazing Debby. Great to see that a product like this works and lasts too. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your counter tops look wonderful, Debby!! The fact that they have held up well over five years is a good recommendation too. A local friend painted her counters a few years ago, and they look fabulous. I'm not sure what product she used, but it is nice to know that there is a reasonably priced option out there!

    We painted our cabinets a few years ago. It was a lot of work, but I have always been glad that we did it! The paint gives such character to the kitchen. As a matter of fact, the girls and I were looking through some old pictures just this morning; when we came across some pics of the "old" kitchen, we all agreed that the new look is a great improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your countertops look amazing, Debby. Love them! I don't know if I would have the nerve to try to do that, but I do remember painting our old kitchen cabinets in our former house white and they turned out well and really changed the look in the kitchen. I like your blacksplash, too! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Debby! I've never heard of a counter paint, you've opened my eyes here! The fact that it lasts so long, especially on a hard working kitchen counter is just AMAZING. So much more economical than getting new tops, which is huge money.

    I like the speckled appearance. I bet it hides a lot of stains etc. It really sets off the backsplash too. You are very DIY! I'm rooting for your next step to get started over the Memorial Day weekend. My money's on you <3
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks amazing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely......it is hard to believe that painting the counter tops really looks like the real thing. WOW, you did a beautiful job. Also, your back splash is to die for, Another amazing job. LOVE it ALL!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, I love the results! And it was nice to know how they held up after daily use! I think many will want to try this product, as it is very nice to update our counters. I sure might look into that myself!
    You really did a very nice job! I will be pinning this on Pinterest!
    Hugs, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are a professional! Love the new look.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. h Debbie, your counter tops look fabulous! Oh my word, I have not heard of any such thing, looks out of this world perfect! I know you are so thrilled with the outcome, just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good for you for researching and finding the right product. Looks like quite a process, but it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness!
    You did a great job!
    I am glad to know about this method.
    Enjoyed visiting,
    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Debby! First let me say my stupid reader didn't deliver this post.
    Now, I can't tell you how impressed I am with your counter top makeover. Really beautiful!
    Mine are very worn so I need to either replace or redo. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great job on repainting your countertop! Bombay black and chocolate brown really make a good combination in there, plus with the mineral paints complementing them. I see that this makeover happened five years ago, is that countertop still good looking as of this moment? I'll be glad to hear from you, Debby! :)

    Debra Newman @ UCS Granite

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing, Debby! I had no idea that this could be done. Pinned this for future reference!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today! Your sweet comments are such an encouragement to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...